Congratulations to the Newsome High School athletic program for being named the elite athletic program in Hillsborough County. Out of 23 varsity sports offered by the school district, the Newsome Wolves won an incredible 14 district championships. The feat in itself is very impressive but if you combine that with the fact that Newsome High School is still a fairly new school the accomplishment is very impressive!
Newsome received the Vernon Korhn Award, which is given to the school with the best overall performance of its athletic program.
The school won district titles in boys golf, boys basketball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls soccer, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls lacrosse, boys and girls track and field, and softball.
Three teams won region titles, some individuals won state titles, and just recently, Newsome High School won the Class 8A state softball title, the first team championship in school history.
The award was also based on academics and sportsmanship.
Newsome High School finished the school year with the fourth-highest GPA of any athletic department in the school district and had only one ejection during the 2014-2015 year.
Other awards presented Thursday:
- Hillsborough County Wrestler of the Year: Dakota Green of Brandon, who went 77-0 and won his classification’s 170-pound state title.
- Joel Medgebow Wrestling Coach of the Year: Riverview’s William Sargable, a three-time winner of the award.
- Jack and Barbara Thompson Softball Player of the Year: Bloomingdale’s Elizabeth Jackson, who batted .507 and had 33 stolen bases.
- Happy’s Home Center Outstanding Flag Football Player: Robinson’s Erin Dorsey, the state passing record-holder who led the team to the state championship game.
- Andres Garcia Memorial Male Tennis Award: Steinbrenner’s Jordan Mark, a district singles, and doubles champion.
- Andres Garcia Memorial Female Tennis Award: Caroline Lozo from Holy Names, a six-time district and regional champion.
- Halax Most Outstanding Female Lacrosse Player: Plant’s Sofia Emond, who guided Plant to a second straight district title.
- Halax Most Outstanding Male Lacrosse Player: Newsome midfielder Kyle Rintoul, who finished with 45 goals and 46 assists for the Wolves, who reached the state quarterfinals.
- Dr. Doug Price Male Throwers Award: Seffner Christian state championship discus thrower Jamari Johnson.
- Dr. Doug Price Female Throwers Award: Hillsborough High shot put state champion, Chloe Jones.
- Bill Shields Outstanding Track Athlete: Hillsborough’s Dwayne Lawson, who won the 3A triple jump for the second straight year.
Highest team GPA:
- Wrestling: East Bay, 3.120
- Baseball: Plant, 3.425
- Softball: Newsome, 3.660
- Boys track: King, 3.213
- Girls track: Steinbrenner, 3.635
- Boys tennis: Freedom, 3.820
- Girls tennis: King, 3.924
- Flag football: Plant, 3.616
- Girls lacrosse: Newsome, 3.573
- Boys lacrosse: Freedom, 3.259
- Comprehensive team GPA (all sports 2014-2015 school year): Plant, 3.444
Jefferson High School senior outfielder and third baseman Nelson Maldonado received the Wade Boggs Athletic Achievement Award. This award is given annually to an outstanding baseball player in Hillsborough County.
Once again congratulations to FishHawk’s Newsome High School and the other Hillsborough County award winners.
FishHawk Ranch Real Estate related Information
If you found this FishHawk article beneficial, please share it with others. Thanks for sharing!
About the author
Jeff is a top-producing, nationally recognized REALTOR® and local FishHawk real estate expert. You will find him selling homes in the Tampa Bay, Florida area, including FishHawk, Lithia, Riverview, Valrico, Apollo Beach, Brandon, and Tampa.
If you are looking to sell or buy a Tampa Bay area home, Jeff is your local and trusted professional. He can be reached via phone/text at (813) 421-3007 or by email at Jeff@FishHawkRanchRealEstate.net.
Connect with Jeff on:
For additional FishHawk Ranch information or to search for other homes, please visit the FishHawk Ranch Real Estate home page.
If you have any comments on the subject or stories you would like to share please reply below.
© 2015, Jeff Gould. All rights reserved.