The Ultimate Moving Checklist
Do you have your FishHawk Ranch home for sale or just bought a new home and are preparing to move? If so, print out this moving and packing checklist. It will help you remember items you need to transfer, update, cancel, and simply help you prepare for your move.
Items to transfer, cancel or update, including:
- Cable, telephone, newspaper
- Lawn Care, Pool Service
- Car registration and driver’s license
- Post Office
- Update your friends, relatives and other contacts with your new address
- Bank accounts and safe deposit boxes
- Utilities, including electric, gas, water, sewer, and trash
- Insurance policies, including property, auto, medical and dental
- Alarm/security company
- Voter registration
- Physician, dentist and other medical providers (make sure to have at least two weeks of prescription medicine on hand for the duration of your move)
- Veterinarian, if applicable
- Health clubs
- Your children’s schools and daycare centers
- Separate items you will and will not be taking with you.
- Box and label the outside of all the boxes.
- Make a List: Make a list so you can keep track of the items and know what is in every box. Trust me, as soon as you have all of your boxes packed and sealed you will be looking for something!
- Hiring a Moving Company?: Create a list or spreadsheet of all of your belongings take pictures of anything you feel is valuable.
- Movable Storage Units: The new trend in moving is the movable storage unit. There are a bunch of different companies out there. Consider renting one. They can be loaded and stored off location during the sale of your home. Once you are ready to relocate, the unit can meet you at your new location.
- Do You Need It?: We will all have items we no longer need or want. Decide how you will be getting rid of these items. You can donate, sell or throw them out.
- Collect or purchase boxes: Locations like Ace hardware and storage companies sell boxes and other moving items.
- Packing Accessories: Make sure you have enough tape, bubble wrap, newspapers, garbage bags, and markers. If you do not want to or cannot pack some moving companies will do it for you.
- Furniture: Take apart the furniture if needed.
- Fragile Items: Make sure to take extra care when packing any fragile items. They tend to get broken during a move.
- Moving Company: Schedule movers as needed and keep a completed bill of landing until everything is delivered to your new home, the charges are paid and if there are any claims, they are settled.
- Rent a Truck: Are you renting a moving truck? Ensure you get your truck booked in advance. Certain truck sizes seem to be in short supply. Make sure you have carpet to protect items and at least one hand truck.
- Recycle: Do you have any flammable materials or containers that may leak like batteries, acids, cleaning fluids, paint, etc.? If so, make sure you properly recycle those items.
Finalize Your Details
- Car: If you are moving a long distance away, ensure you have your car serviced, tires checked, etc.
- Accommodations: You should plan out your trip and stops in advance. Book hotels or other accommodations before you begin driving. If you have pets, make sure those arrangements are pet-friendly.
- Final Check: Do a final walk-through of the house. Check all closets, cabinets, attic, and rooms one last time to make sure you haven’t left anything behind.
- Turn it Off: Make sure all lights have been turned off, set the air conditioner or heat on a comfortable setting that may not run a lot. Once you are sure you’ve got everything, lock up!
Prepare For Closing
- Homeowner’s Insurance: Maintain homeowner’s hazard insurance for 2-3 days after closing.
- Needed Items: Leave appliance manuals, warranty information, garage door openers and spare keys in the house. Bring at least one key to closing.
- Cleanup: The house should be at least “broom clean” and all trash and debris should be removed from the property. This includes the garage, attic, and yard. If there was any damage to the house done during the move, have it repaired! This should be completed before the buyer’s final walkthrough.
- At Closing: Bring a driver’s license or another form of photo ID. Items are notarized and you will need to prove your ID.
- Condos: If you are selling a condo or co-op, be sure to schedule your move well in advance. Check your condo/co-op docs for moving rules and restrictions. There may be items that you or the new buyer need to complete before closing.
Printable Moving and Packing Checklist
For your convenience, here is a full moving and packing checklist that you can print out to assist you in getting ready for and moving to your new home.
If you found this Real Estate article beneficial, please share it with others who could benefit from it. And thank you for sharing!
About the Author: The above Real Estate article “The Ultimate Moving Checklist” was written by Jeff Gould, a nationally recognized Tampa Bay, Florida REALTOR®.
Jeff is a top-selling, nationally recognized Florida REALTOR® and local FishHawk Ranch real estate expert. You will find him selling homes in the Tampa Bay, Florida and surrounding areas. Some of those areas include FishHawk, Lithia, Riverview, Valrico, Apollo Beach, Brandon, and Tampa.
If you are looking to sell or buy a home anywhere in the Tampa Bay area, Jeff is your local and trusted professional.
Jeff can also be reached via text at (813) 421-3007.
Click here additional FishHawk Ranch information or see other FishHawk Ranch Homes For Sale.
© 2018, Jeff Gould. All rights reserved.